Earlier I had discussed 5 good books to learn Sanskrit for beginner to intermediate level students.
Below I have down a review and analysis of top 2 books to learn Sanskrit at an intermediate level.
1. Books to Learn Sanskrit - Sanskrit Grammar
Sanskrit Grammar by R. G. Bhandarkar
Short Review of Sanskrit Grammar
- Published by Bharatiya Kala Prakashan.
- It is a very good book to learn Sanskrit Grammar.
- Grammar Rules are presented in an easy manner.
- Sanskrit tenses are explained in detail.
- Gender is covered in a thorough manner.
- Very easy to navigate from lesson to lesson.
- Lucid and easy to read.
2. Best Book to Learn Sanskrit - Second Book of Sanskrit
Second Book of Sanskrit by Ramkrishna Gopal Bhandrakar
Short Review of Second Book of Sanskrit
- Follows traditional Hindu Grammar style as adopted by Bhattoji Dikshita in Siddhantakaumudi.
- Very methodical. Step by step coverage of topics.
- Examples & exercises are very good, but little to no explanation.
- Tone is however quite dry.
- Covers irregularities belonging to 1st, 4th, 6th and 10th conjugations.
- Second, third, fifth, seventh, eight and ninth conjugation is discussed in details.
- First and second future is covered in details.
- Discussion of comparative and superlative.
- Discusses Sanskrit compounds - Dvandva, tatpurusha, bahuvrihi and avyayibhava
---- END ----
You may also like:
Date of Mahabharata War from 7 Amazing Sources
Eye-popping Timeline of Indian History
Bakhtiyar Khilji's Conquest of Bengal
3 Disturbing Facts about Indian Sub-continent
Date of Mahabharata War from 7 Astronomical Sources
Featured Image Courtesy: britannica
That's it. Thank you for reading Books to Learn Sanskrit. Please show your appreciation by sharing and/or leaving a comment.